I'll share my secrets.
Want to learn how to get free texting AND calls on your smartphone?
Or if you aren't lucky enough to have a smartphone, what about free texting and calls on your computer?
I haven't paid for cell phone service for over a year... and I send over 2,000 texts a month, and make and receive calls when I so chose to make a call or answer the phone. Needless to say you can rest assured I have tried and tested most of the services and apps out there.
And out of ALL the different options I signed up for and tried, only THREE... yes 3... are worth your time. Here's my list. Enjoy.
Maybe you can do me a favor and help support my efforts?
It's easy... just click on the super happy cyber girl below. She's got an Android app that you are going to want to download.
Free mobile calls and texting
- free download available on Android and iPhone
- sign up for free to get your own (local) phone number
- call and text anyone for free (international calling rate)
- earn free minutes (for calls) by completing offers through TapJoy
- requires a 3G/4G/wifi connection
- free download available on Android, iPhone, and computers with an internet connection
- sign up for free and get free local phone number
- complete offers to get free calling minutes through TapJoy
- requires 3G/4G/wifi connection
The only thing that sets this free mobile call app apart from textPlus is the fact that you can text from the web through Pinger's text only app, textfree. Your Pinger number is also your textfree number. The design is also minimal compared to textPlus. And calls to Canada on Pinger are also free. As far as usability they are both about the same. Calls over a wireless connection can be patchy at times. Hey, it's free calls... you can't complain too much.
Okay, the mobile apps for Google Voice are not the best. For some reason they fail to notify you of texts and calls on occasion. BUT, as far as usability - this is the free calls app I use on a regular basis.
- available on any phone or computer with an internet connection (mobile web or wifi)
- free texts and calls
- sign up for free, download free Google Voice extension, and get your own local phone number for free
- requires a Google or Gmail account
I use Google Voice daily. Because I don't have a cell phone service provider, it is a way I can keep a permanent number that people can reach me at. Plus calls go straight to my voicemail. I'm not big on talking on the phone.
So there you have it. No need in going through all the trouble of downloading a bunch of apps and clogging up your phone's memory. If you do happen to find something better, an app I haven't listed please do share. (BTW I do not own an iPhone or iPad or iPod so I would be clueless as to the apps exclusive to iOS.)